West Parish Family School History
In 1976 a Marstons Mills preschool director approached the West Parish of Barnstable congregation. She requested that she rent space for a preschool. In 1977 a decision was made. West Parish of Barnstable would not rent space but build an addition and operate its own school.
The vision for this new program was to “stress physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual growth.” Family involvement would be a priority. Hence, West Parish Family School was born. The school logo has always been the rooster. It is the weathervane on top of the adjacent 1717 Meetinghouse which can be seen as you enter the school.
By September 8, 1978 the building had an addition and a new look. This was the result of many generous volunteers who lent time and talent. The school opened its doors and immediately had a waiting list.
The director from Marstons Mills brought her expertise and many families. Marcia Galazzi became the first director of West Parish Family School. Dr. Elizabeth Bergland followed Ms. Galazzi. Then Diana Pfenning held the position until 1999. Patricia Mason was the West Parish Family School director until August 2004. The position was then assumed by Barbara Bennett who retired in 2014. The school is now directed by Kristen Lind.
The West Parish Family School is managed by a Board of Directors which includes Church members as well as parents of the children in the school. In appreciation and gratitude for the dedication to create, fund, and build the West Parish Family School we salute the following individuals and families:
John Bursley, Isabell Bush, Junus Bush, The Gilman Family, Maryann Horn, Ethel Kinsiblry,John Lally, Deacon Leeman, Lee Porter, Grace Porter, Robert Read. The Samuel Family, Adam Whitelaw, Herbert Wright, Martha Wright, The Chadwick Family, Dorothy Borg, Diana Phenning, Al Amerigain, David Schaffer, Brad Haven, Bob Russell and Cornell Bretz and Arthur Grohe.